Copyright:  U.S. Veterans Rifle Team 2019

December 2022 Newsletter

• 25 Dec 2022 3:05 PM
    Message # 13035097
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

U.S. Veterans Rifle Team

Fall 2022 Newsletter

America Match

The America Match for 2022 was held by the Dominion of Canada Rifle Association at the Connaught Ranges near Ottawa, Ontario during August. The U.S. Veteran’s Team Captain (me) was designated as the America Match Team Captain.  We fielded a team of Veterans, Palma Team shooters, and USAMU shooters.

We ran this team in four (4) matches:  Outlander, Canada, Commonwealth, and America.  We handily won the Outlander, but due to mistakes placed third in the Canada, and Commonwealth.  The America Match was shortened due to storms in the area.  To ensure we fired the important stages we started at 600 meters and moved to 900 meters.  After checking the weather again, we moved to 800 meters.  Upon completion we took a lunch break with a 2:30 PM Team Captain’s meeting to decide whether to complete the match at 300 meters.  At this point the U.S. was ahead by 9 points. The initial decision was to shoot 300 meters.  So, the teams marched down to the 300-meter line.  Upon arrival another Team Captains’ meeting was held to review new radar images showing an even heavier storm was near.  At the that point a decision was made to cancel the 300-meter stage and call the match complete. 

As such, the United States emerged the victor besting both Great Britain and Canada.

NRA Foundation

The three national teams (Under-25, Veterans, and Palma) produced a grant request totaling around $680,000.  This was submitted to the NRA Foundation for consideration.  The net result was positive, but in electrical terms a light charge.  The Under-25 got $22K with no strings, the Veterans and Palma Teams received $18K to split between the two teams providing we raise another $18K in 2023. As a result, we will work with Bob Mead and the Palma team to raise the targeted amount for 2023.  There will be a second grant request made for 2024.  Our target is to at least cover the cost for entry fees for the World Championships.

2023 Plans

As we approach the 2024 World Championship, I have the following goals for 2023: 1) Name the team. This is planned for May 2023 during the practice preceding the SE Fullbore in Fallen Timbers, PA.  We will be naming fourteen (14) shooters, and three (3) coaches to make the South Africa trip.  Keep the dates of May 25-May 26 open for the Veteran’s Practice, and May 27- June 1, 2023, available for the SE Fullbore. Additionally, Reade Range will be offering a Long-Range Regional starting with two 1000-yard team matches on June 2 followed by individual on June 3-4, 2023.

The next important match for the Team will be the Canadian Fullbore Rifle Championship in August of 2023 (Tentatively 12-19 August in Ottawa).  We would like all members of the squad traveling to South Africa to attend.  We will be able to fire three (3) team matches with multiple squads (two are eight (8) person and one is a twelve (12) person team).  This is training the experience that we can’t get in the U.S. and is a great opportunity for international experience. I do not have the specific dates for this match yet.  As soon as they are available, they will be posted on our site.

In September, we would like to continue training with a three (3) day practice prior to the Spirit of America match at Raton, NM.  This will be done with the Palma team, followed by the three (3) days of SOA Team matches. 

For team development, these three (3) events are the most important.  I realize that many have other matches that favorites or have more personal importance.  However, for 2023 leading up to the 2024 Worlds, these three events are most important for team development. Make these the priority.

Additionally, we will fund a team or teams for the Southwest Nationals.  Use the event selection on the website to indicate your interest.

Uniforms

We have two (2) sets of XL uniforms that are available for sale as either complete sets or piecemeal.  Contact me if interested.

Gun cases and equipment bags

I have a few equipment bags available for $50/each, contact me if interested.

For gun cases, a new prototype was circulated to the Palma team at their last practice.  Am waiting for feedback.  We anticipate the cost will be less than $100/unit including the competitor’s name.

On our site I have provided the means to indicate your attendance at the various training venues.  Please review your schedule and sign up so that I know you will be attending.

Holiday Wishes

Hope you and your families have a wonderful Christmas and a great New Year!

- Leo Cebula,  Captain, U.S. Veteran's Rifle Team